Something significant happened in Emfuleni on Wednesday, 13 May 2026. It was not a protest march. It was not a community meeting. It was sixteen ANC councillors — elected members of the same party that has governed this region for decades — sitting in front of cameras and journalists and saying, in plain language, that they cannot fix this from inside. That the corruption runs too deep, the internal channels are too compromised, and the only way forward is for President Cyril Ramaphosa to dispatch the Special Investigating Unit with a presidential proclamation and let them tear the place apart.

The Sowetan confirmed that the briefing was not sanctioned by the ANC chief whip or the speaker of the Emfuleni municipality. These councillors did not ask permission. They went over the heads of local and regional party leadership directly to the Presidency — and they did it on record.

What they described is not a municipality in distress. It is a municipality in freefall — and the people who are supposed to hold it accountable have been saying so internally for long enough that they have now run out of patience.

Six Months of Silence from the Presidency

This is not the first time Emfuleni has asked Ramaphosa to act. In October 2025, then-mayor Sipho Radebe formally wrote to the Presidency requesting a presidential proclamation authorising the SIU to probe corruption across key service units — electricity, revenue collection, fleet management, and supply chain. Sunday World reported that the Presidency had not responded to that appeal. Six months passed. No proclamation came.

The sixteen councillors on Wednesday were not making a new request. They were making the same request a second time, this time louder, in public, with the media watching. The fact that it came to this is itself the story.

According to the Sowetan, the councillors said they had escalated their concerns repeatedly through council structures, meetings, and engagements with provincial leadership — including MEC Jacob Mamabolo — and received little meaningful response. Some councillors had previously faced disciplinary action for protesting the very failures they raised again on Wednesday. That detail is worth sitting with: ANC members were disciplined for complaining about corruption in their own municipality.

"The municipality always says it is working on it, but nothing changes. We even bought pipes ourselves to try redirecting it."
— Keitumetse Maloka, Emfuleni resident, speaking to the Sowetan

R24 Million to Watch Television at Home

The financial bleeding at Emfuleni takes several forms, but the suspended employees scandal is the one that visibly outrages residents the most — because it is the most direct. Emfuleni has 22 employees on suspension, and has paid them collectively nearly R24 million to stay at home while their disciplinary cases drag on.

One accountant has been on suspension since 2019 and has drawn nearly R6 million in salary across seven years without a single disciplinary matter being resolved. The DA's Gauteng Legislature questions uncovered this, and Eyewitness News confirmed it in their May 2026 reporting. Seven years. No resolution. Nearly six million rand.

These are not administrative delays. Disciplinary cases do not run for seven years by accident. They run for seven years when someone with influence benefits from them not being resolved. That is not incompetence — that is a decision.

The Bakkies That Were Never There

A forensic investigation by Tshangana & Associates, tabled before the Emfuleni council in early 2026, revealed a procurement scandal that reads like a textbook case of brazen municipal fraud. The municipality paid for eight Toyota Hilux bakkies through a National Treasury-approved contract with Maboela Forestry and Construction — a company now in provisional liquidation. Of those eight bakkies, only three were confirmed delivered. Of those three, only one could actually be located when investigators went looking.

The fleet manager signed invoices certifying delivery. The assistant fleet manager signed as receiver. The acting fleet manager later told investigators he had been pressured to sign. The vehicles did not exist at the municipality. The paperwork said they did. The money was paid regardless.

That was not the full extent of it. The same forensic probe found that six additional UD trucks worth R8.7 million had also been paid for but never delivered — invoices signed, stamps applied, money transferred. The total financial loss from the fleet scandal alone exceeds R16 million. In April 2026, municipal manager April Ntuli opened criminal charges against seven employees and several service providers. Investigators also flagged duplicate engine numbers on some assets, and others registered under third parties rather than the municipality.

R700 Million in Overtime. Sewage Still in the Streets.

The human cost of this governance collapse is not abstract. Eyewitness News returned to Emfuleni in May 2026 and found residents in Boitumelo township living with raw sewage entering their homes, sharing space with snakes and crabs that had moved in through flooded floors. A 77-year-old woman named Mabel Tshoki has lived surrounded by running sewage for ten years. An elderly woman in Tshepong was forced to shut down her daycare centre after knee-high sewage entered the building.

The DA revealed through Gauteng Legislature questions that Emfuleni has spent R694 million on overtime pay — primarily for cleaning and environmental services. Nearly R700 million. And yet in April 2026 a content creator's TikTok video documenting sewage flowing through streets and into rivers went viral, because residents recognised immediately that nothing had changed.

As recently as 6 May 2026, Eyewitness News reported that the Gauteng Cooperative Governance Department said Emfuleni does not yet warrant being placed under full administration. Spokesperson Theo Nkonki said there were signs of improvement and the province preferred a "collaborative approach." The councillors at Wednesday's press briefing apparently disagree.

Two Municipalities. Same District. Different Universe.

There is a detail in this story that official reporting tends to bury, and it should not be buried: the sixteen councillors came from Emfuleni, Lesedi, and Midvaal — three local municipalities that all sit within the Sedibeng district. Midvaal is DA-governed. It has achieved over ten consecutive clean audits. A business owner from Roshnee who straddles the boundary between Emfuleni and Midvaal described the two municipalities to News24 as "chalk and cheese." Meyerton in Midvaal is clean. The roads are maintained. Service calls get responses.

These are not communities separated by vast geography or wildly different economic circumstances. They share a district boundary. The difference between them is not fate. It is governance — specifically, the presence or absence of accountability.

For the DA, this contrast is an election campaign that writes itself. With local government elections due between November 2026 and January 2027, and projections showing the ANC's Gauteng support in freefall across multiple municipalities, Emfuleni's chaos arrives at the worst possible time for the governing party — and the most useful possible time for the opposition.

What Happens Now

President Ramaphosa has a decision to make. He declined to respond to the October 2025 mayoral appeal. Now sixteen of his own party's councillors have gone public, on record, demanding the same intervention. Signing a presidential proclamation deploying the SIU would effectively be an admission that Emfuleni's self-governance has failed — it would be the national government formally declaring the municipality incapable of cleaning its own house.

That is politically expensive, especially for a president already navigating impeachment proceedings following the Constitutional Court's ruling on Phala Phala. But not acting is also expensive — it confirms what the sixteen councillors are implying, which is that the silence from Pretoria is itself part of the problem.

For the people of Emfuleni — for Mabel Tshoki and her decade of sewage, for the daycare owner in Tshepong, for the residents who bought their own pipes — the proclamation or the silence will say everything that needs to be said about how much their government values them.

The sixteen councillors who broke ranks on Wednesday have already answered that question for themselves. The President still has to answer it.